To create a new permanent exhibit for the museum, officially called “Jane Addams and the Hull-House Settlement: Redefining Democracy.” We will unveil the exhibit around Jane Addams Day (December 10) in 2010, which gives us one very busy year to prepare.
The new exhibition will double our current exhibit space by opening the upstairs of the Hull-House Museum to the public for the first time.
You’ll be hearing from some of these folks soon, but here’s a preview of the NEH team:
- Amy- exhibit designer
- Kelly- project coordinator, special assistant to the director
- Lauren- graphic designer
- Lisa J.- education coordinator
- Lisa Lee- director
- Michael- historic preservationist and facilities manager
- Naomi- exhibition coordinator
- Teresa- curatorial assistant
We also have a talented staff of part-timers:
- Amanda- assistant to the education coordinator
- Anna, Danielle, Joe, Margaret, Mekaila, Sean – museum educators
- Edgar- assistant to the facilities manager
- Ryan- farmer-in-residence
- Tara- kitchen manager
The Jane Addams Hull-House Museum serves as a dynamic memorial to social reformer and Nobel Peace Prize recipient Jane Addams (1860-1935) and other resident social reformers whose work influenced the lives of their immigrant neighbors as well as national and international public policy. As Hull-House Settlement was a place where immigrants, social reformers, writers and others could imagine, convene and argue about the issues of the time, the Museum continues to provide a place to discuss and debate the contemporary social issues of today. The Museum preserves and develops the original Hull-House site for the interpretation and continuation of the historic settlement house vision, linking research, education, and social engagement.
The Hull-House Settlement was founded in 1889 by social reformers Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr. It was part of the world-wide Settlement House movement responding to problems created by urbanization, industrialization, and immigration. The complex eventually included 13 buildings. The Jane Addams Hull-House Museum opened in 1967 as a unit of the new University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC) campus, retaining the original Hull Home, a National Historic Landmark built by real estate developer Charles Hull, and the Residents’ Dining Hall, a Chicago Historic Landmark.